Fuels Pricing Manager is responsible for the management of fuel pricing for the Retail Marketing business units of The Wills Group. This includes development and execution of the pricing strategy to meet Retail Marketing’s Operating Plans. It also includes management of the pricing software to ensure accurate and timely communication of motor fuel prices to the wholesale and retail locations.
1. Responsible for pricing of motor fuel products. Establishes and executes daily pricing for all motor fuels across both the retail and wholesale channels of the business utilizing a variety metrics and intelligence to optimize petroleum gross profit and execute on market strategies. Maintains retail and wholesale pricing systems and works with IT to ensure accurate reporting/invoicing. Coordinates and executes retail fuel pricing strategy by product, grade, and by store, following up to ensure changes are executed per the developed site and market strategies. Develops and maintains all price zone and site strategy documentation for all controlled retail sites.
2. Ensures pricing is in compliance with all federal, state or local laws and manages communication to government officials regarding below cost selling of fuel by competitors.
3. Analyzes competitive position of suppliers’ pricing and uses information to develop insights and make recommendations to improve fuel price management and performance and support build/operate/harvest decisions
4. Responsible for developing a highly effective strategy through a deep understanding of the fuel supply, market dynamics, branded vs. unbranded fuel and costs. Provides Executive Management with recommended strategies to address current and future trends. Provides statistical and analytical support to refine the appropriate fuel pricing strategy and to monitor overall fuel price system performance.
5. Plans, organizes, directs and controls the activities of pricing support to the retail marketing organization including administrative functions and participation in team meetings and training opportunities, as appropriate.
6. Provides reports and appropriate updates to internal and external stakeholders regarding performance and trends to include competitive price surveys, margin and volume reports, rack competitiveness and monthly forecasts and look backs
7. Performs a variety of economic analyses and opportunity assessments as needed to develop profit-optimizing tactics and strategies to ensure competitive positioning, enhance gross profit and optimize each site’s profitability.
8. Calculates pool margins, laid-in cost estimates and sales volumes relative to plan by store, territory, or market on a daily basis. Analyzes current fuel sales and gross margin compared to prior year and current year goals. Analyzes the impact of pricing decisions using key metrics and performance indicators in order to evaluate the level of success of recommended strategy and execution.
9. Manages the systems that serve as the infrastructure to providing pricing administration, reporting, and retail support.
10. Supports investment proposal development for submittal to the Investment Committee. This includes development of operating assumptions as it relates to Fuel Volumes and Margins for EVA Models.
11. Assists in analysis of potential acquisitions under review by Retail Marketing as it relates to fuels performance and projections.
12. Works directly with Supply, Pricing and Logistics Manager on a daily basis and provides critical pricing information to the Retail Marketing leadership team and Wills Group executives.
· A specific knowledge of retail and wholesale fuels business is essential.
· Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field of experience.
· Financial analysis and reporting skills.
· Proficiency in Process Management.
· This position requires a person who understands the nuances of both the retail and wholesale fuels business.
· Strong communications skills
· An understanding of company culture and customer service expectations
· Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders/customers
· A technology orientation to help support of departmental and organizational I.T. systems
· Track record of delivering strong financial results
· Proven ability to find creative solutions to complex business problems
· Experience in wholesale and retail fuels pricing preferred.
· Ability to stay abreast of market conditions and technology trends that could impact the fuels industry
· Flexibility to respond to market conditions in the evening and on weekends as needed.